Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Boycotting Red Lobster

I just recently heard from my friend Kevin Healey (Proprietor of THE LIVING ROOM in Pueblo, Colorado) that his sister, Korryn Healey, had been terminated from her job at Red Lobster just a few days after announcing to her coworkers that she was pregnant. The company's reasoning? She had a "visible" tattoo. The tattoo in question was on the back of her neck, and from what I understand, was covered by the collar of her shirt, or her hair. The company would not waiver once they discovered she had this tattoo and although it was hidden the majority of the time, terminated her employment anyways.

It sounds incredibly fishy to me, and everyone who has heard this story. I took it upon myself to email Red Lobster's customer service department and let them know about this unjustly termination of their employee. Also, as a tattooed individual, I hate to hear that they terminated this poor girl because of a simple little tattoo.

So I wrote the company a short email, which i have attatched bellow. If you think this sounds as fishy and unjust as I do, I encourage you to do the same thing. Go to the following address:
http://www.redlobster.com/contact_us/default.asp

And let them know what you think. The Red Lobster location is:
3306 N ELIZABETH STREET
PUEBLO, CO 81008
Phone: (719) 544-1000
Fax: (719) 543-6592

You may find Kevin on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/KevinTheHealey
AND Korryn on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/korryn.healey

Thanks for your help.
-Damian

Here is my email:
I am the friend of a now former employee, Korryn Healey. Just days after Korryn discovered she was PREGNANT, She was terminated for employment for having a Tattoo! (GASP!)

Tattoos are a growing art form amongst many young Americans. As a tattooed individual, I take GREAT offense to this behavior of your company. I have decided that as a Tattooed American, it would be irresponsible for me to continue to eat at your restaurant and because of this horrendous behavior, I will no longer be a customer.

I also know many, many other tattooed individuals and I will use my social networking outlets to further let people know of your company's policies regarding Tattoos, and work on a boycott of your company.

I also feel that the real reason for Korryn's termination was due to her impending pregnancy and the reasoning of her Tattoo was to hide this fact.

I hope that you and your company's top officials can side with us on this matter and to repair this unjustly firing. This is a horrendous matter. I hope you can solve this fairly and justly. Until then, I shall not be a customer of your establishment.
-Damian Burford

No comments:

Post a Comment