Friday, October 14, 2011

Vinyl Record Clock



I've wanted to make a Clock out of old LPS for a while now. I had seen something like this on Etsy or some such website before and I loved the idea and it stuck with me for sometime.


When I moved into my Apartment last year, I bought an extra wall clock and then took it apart and made a clock out of it, the only problem with that clock was It didn't have a wall mounting harness, and then I brilliantly bought a set of picture mounting hooks, and then SCREWED the hook onto the clock, thus ruining the inside mechanisms. If you go this route, i suggest super gluing a hook onto the clock.... The clock I bought and destroyed from Target was only about 4 bucks, and if you had some leftover 7 Inches, they would fit perfectly inside the frame of the clock and no Hanging apparatus would be needed.

I went a different route with this project. I went to Hobby Lobby today to return a frame and wandered around, looking for stuff for my next art project. I found a make your own clock kit and made this clock.

Here's how it all went down:
I chose an LP from my good friend, and pretty much all around bad ass, Michael Dean Damron. His newest album "A PLEA FROM A GHOST" (which you SHOULD listen to at: http://suburbanhome.bandcamp.com/album/plea-from-a-ghost)
I picked this LP up while traveling with Mike from Denver to Little Rock and then back to Denver in early September for the Two Cow Garage 10th Anniversary party and Suburban Home 16th Anniversary party, both of which Mike played.

I chose this LP not only because it is an excellent album and the Colored LP looks fantastic, but also because i foolishly left it in the car too long and the LP is warped beyond playing. I've heard stories that you warm up the LP and make them playable again, but I can probably score another from Mike, and now I have a super rare MIKE D collectable!

This is the Build Your Own Clock Kit i bought from Hobby Lobby. A little bit more expensive than the clock I bought from Target and Destroyed. This kit cost $5.99 and the destroyed clock was $3.99, but this had a wall mounting apparatus that is built into this kit, so i felt it the better choice.

The instructions were painfully easy, and the putting the thing together was a breeze. It took less than 5 minutes to put the entire thing together. It took me longer to find my hammer when it came time to putting it on the wall.

Here is the finished goods:





So there you have it. Quick and simple. You can easily find LPS at Thrift stores for super cheap. The Leechpit & The Independent Records Annex both have a rather large selection of LPS for $1 or less. These make quick and easy presents, and are pretty damned cool. There is a large selection of these on ETSY, or I'd consider making some and throwing them on there!

If you happen to go out and make your own, then take photos and send me a link!
-Damian

No comments:

Post a Comment